Monday, May 31, 2010

TURTLES!

Today was my first chance in a while to cut the grass. I was headed to the shed to get the lawn mower when I somehow saw this little guy hanging out in the back yard:

Jacob was curious:

So, I marked the spot where the little guy was so I could make sure I didn't step on him or run over him with the mower. Then I brought the mower out to the front yard and started mowing when I saw ANOTHER turtle in the front yard! This one was bigger, and she was busy! I watched as she laid an egg in this little hole she dug in our front yard:

Posted by Picasa



4 comments:

jenni said...

That's great guys! Thanks for sharing

Laura said...

did she make it across the road?!?! what a cliffhanger! can't wait to hear if you get more hatchlings!

Am+a said...

Cool! Get a narrator with an Australian accent to ponder the aMAZing creatures of the wild, and you could put it on PBS.

I thought your narration was fine, and Jacob the parrott too. :-)

I have memories of the turtle we found in our yard when I was about 6. It was tiny. We made a "habitat" for it on the back porch and named it "Sandy" (gender neutral name...) Sandy lived with us for a few weeks.

Tuba, or not tuba ... that is the question said...

She did make it across the road. She kept stopping, though, which made it interesting. At one point she stopped right when van was coming, so I stepped into the road and got the van to go around her. Then she scampered off towards the river. A happy ending! :)